FAQs - TECHsplore Semester
What is Techsplore Semester?
TECHsplore Semester is the ideal program for universities that want to partner to send groups of 10+ students to study abroad at Georgia Tech for the fall (August-December) or spring (January-May) semester. Students enroll full-time, take classes within a specific academic unit, and participate in cultural exchange programs and events based on the home institution's contract with the GT Office of International Education (OIE). TECHsplore Semester partnerships require commitment from a GT academic department and the Office of International Education. Recent partnerships include the School of Mechanical Engineering, the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, and the School of Aerospace Engineering. Individual students are not eligible to apply to Techsplore semester without previous agreement between their home institution and Georgia Tech.
How do I apply for Techsplore Semester?
There are three main steps to the application process.
1. The student’s home institution must nominate students to participate in the group program.
2. The Georgia Tech academic partner will review nominations and select the final students eligible to apply to Georgia Tech
3. Students will complete the regular admission process for non-degree-seeking students. GT Undergraduate Admissions reviews applicants on the basis of regular selection criteria.
What schools are eligible for Techsplore Semester?
Schools that are able to receive a commitment from a GT academic department to partner with their institution are eligible to be considered for the program. Recent partnerships include the School of Mechanical Engineering, the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, and the School of Aerospace Engineering.
What qualifications do I need to apply?
- · Official transcript
- · English proficiency
- 90-100 TOEFL or 7.5 IELTS
- I-20 form-initiates istart
- · Permission from their home institution
- · Permission from GT department
What options do I have for courses?
Students are expected to take courses agreed upon between their home institution and the GT academic department. The GT academic department provides academic advising and support.
How many credit hours do I get from this program?
Techsplore semester students are required to take a minimum of 12 credit hours during the semester.
What are the tuition cost and the program cost?
- $5000 TECHsplore program fee
- Out of State Tuition (approx. $15,302 for 6+ credits) and fee
- Housing costs (On-Campus Housing is optional pending availability)
- All associated transportation, living expenses, and costs involved with participation in the program and studying at GT
- Medical, evacuation, and repatriation insurance (or present evidence of equivalent insurance through the standard appeal process)
What is the deadline to apply to Techsplore Semester?
- Fall Semester
- Nomination Deadline: February 15
- Application Deadline: April 1
- Spring Semester
- Nomination Deadline: August 1
- Application Deadline: October 1
What visa do I need?
- Students will apply for the J-1 visa
Will I be studying with current GA Tech students?
What are the dates for Techsplore Semester?
- Fall Semester : mid-August to December
- Spring Semester: early January to early May
What excursions should I expect as part of the Techsplore Semester program?
Examples of past excursions include, GT sporting events, city tours, Skyline Park, Sweetwater Creek, CNN, and World of Coca Cola.
Where will I be living?
Participants are ultimately responsible for securing their own housing
Students may live in on-campus housing on a space available basis. Historically, more on-campus housing is available during the spring semester
GT will provide general information on housing options on and off campus
What language will classes be taught in?
What airport should I fly into?
ATL Hartsfield-Jackson Airport. Students arriving in groups of 3 or more may be eligible for group pick-up.
Will I have the opportunity to learn about graduate programs as a TECHsplore Semester student?
Yes, TECHsplore Semester students are able to discuss with their faculty connection about future opportunities.
Who can I email for more info?
For more information, email TECHsplore Semester: email@example.com
What should I pack for Techsplore Semester?
A suggested list of what to pack (and what not to pack) can be found on the GT Housing website: https://housing.gatech.edu/move-in-items-to-bring.
What’s the weather like in Atlanta over the Semester?
When you arrive in Atlanta in August, the probable temperature range will be from an average high in the upper 80s to lower 90s Fahrenheit (lower to mid-30s C) during the day to a low at night of around 70 degrees Fahrenheit (22 degrees C). It also rains often in Atlanta throughout the school year.
The city has four distinct seasons, allowing residents and visitors to enjoy a range of comfortable climates. During the fall and spring, Atlanta is quite comfortable with temperatures of 70-80° F (21-26° C). Summers can be quite hot and humid, with temperatures sometimes reaching 100 degrees Fahrenheit (38 degrees Celsius), and winters are normally mild with a few colder spells. The annual rainfall is about 48 in (122 cm)
What transportation is available?
Various forms of transportation available in Atlanta is the MARTA (which will require the purchase of breeze card), GT buses (for on-campus transportation), and app accessible transportation such as Uber, Lyft, and scooters.
What is a Buzzcard and what is it used for?
Buzzcards are the student identification of Georgia Tech. Buzzcards are used for access to buildings such as the residence halls, to scan into events, and pay for meals.